Heading out for a high country backpack hunt requires a lot of preparation as we exchange the luxuries that we find at home for necessities that must be both light weight and perform. When every ounce counts, rationing meals becomes critical so that you are not packing the extra weight of unnecessary food or on the other hand, not enough food for your hunt.
In the latest Pursue The Wild, Tips from the Wild, Kristy Titus welcomes you into her kitchen to share with her some tips to help you pre-ration exactly enough food for each hunt day that is light weight and nutrient rich. The sample meal plan is a balance of necessary nutrient ratios- carbohydrates, fat & complete protein that will promote stable blood sugar levels, giving you tons of energy, quicker recovery times and allow your body to use stored body fat more efficiently as fuel.
– Caloric/nutrient needs vary from person to person depending on age, lean body mass and how much activity you will be performing while on the hunt. As a general rule of thumb, you will need to pack between 1.5 and 2.0 LBS of food or more per day afield. This sample meal plan is 2.0 LBS. It may be difficult to pack all necessary gear and food for trips lasting longer than 13-15 days. If your hunt is going to be extended in duration, it may be necessary to make prior arrangements to have additional food dropped by air, brought in by horse or cached somewhere safe.
– With this sample menu, needed kitchen cooking equipment is minimal. An MSR stove or similar for boiling water, a small plastic cup, fork, spoon and knife is all you need.
– Use a food scale to weigh out your desired amount of food for each portion and contain that individually in baggies or syran wrap.
– Other items that are greatly enjoyed in the back country are instant coffee, tea and basic seasonings.
– Consider making the time investment in freeze drying or dehydrating your own meals that are prepared at home.
– Visit the Wilderness Athlete Website at www.wildernessathlete.com to shop for nutritional support.
Subscribe to Pursue The Wild with Kristy Titus
Pursue The Wild Store: https://pursue-the-wild.myshopify.com/
Proudly Presented By-
Wilderness Athlete: https://wildernessathlete.com/
Dead Down Wind, Trophy Taker Rests & Ramcat Broadheads: https://www.arcushunting.com/
Swarovski Optik: http://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting
Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls: http://buglingbull.com/
Series Intro Music By:
Michael Connors- Wild As You- http://www.michaelconnorsmusic.com/